Joy in the journey

I've been thinking a lot about happiness lately. Each day brings something new, and it is not always something pleasant. As a mother I've learned to just take it one day at a time, then when things are rough it doesn't seem so overwhelming. Of course I still need to be reminded of this from time to time (like when kids are sick, potty training, and around the clock care of a newborn - just to name a few).

There are plenty of good times. Those are fun and happy. I feel truly happy when my children accomplish something. I love when my family is all working together and everyone is getting along. I always make a mental note to remember the few perfect moments in life. These are so very few and far between that they are easy to miss unless you are looking for them.

I believe that most people believe that happiness is a result or an end product. I suppose that it can be to some degree, but I like to try to be content or find joy in the journey. I think happiness or joy is found in the process of living. It is in the little things. It is found by being grateful and patient.

You might be wondering what my rambling about finding joy in the journey has to do with reading. Well, I think that as I read I get enveloped into the story and start to really live and breathe the details. I enjoy the escape into another "world" that I find through reading. And then I find that when I finish a book I usually feel let down a bit, because I don't want it to end (that's why I love sequels). It is being in the middle of the book that I love, I know the characters and still have plenty of pages left. I find joy in the journey of reading a book.

3 comments:

Kathy April 25, 2010 at 6:31 AM  

So true, Bobbi. If you wait for the "big things" to happen expecting that they will bring you joy, you will miss it altogether. The little moments in life are the ones that count. Often times that joy is more of a satisfied feeling that a big burst of laughter. Maybe peaceful.

Baltzers April 27, 2010 at 9:50 AM  

I look forward to your blog tidbits. I really enjoy reading your thoughts on books and life. Thanks!

Ann April 29, 2010 at 5:41 AM  

That's why I like to read so much. My escape from my life to something a little more exciting.

Post a Comment